Slicing Up Cylinders
Was very happy that I made it out to the ceramics studio yesterday. Was not as productive as I wanted to be, but I was all about throwing things away yesterday–for some reason. Ended up throwing out 2 of the cylinders I threw last week. Also ended up slicing into a couple from this week that I didn't feel good about on the wheel.
This one felt good, but the clay was way too soft. It felt really unstable and uneven, even though when I sliced into it, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just a little thick and uneven part towards the bottom–where I'm still learning the right speed for pulling up the clay... especially since the bottoms are heavy.
Here's one from last week that I didn't like. Turned out too fat and short, and not in a way that I wanted. I thought it would be more pleasant than it was, and again, it felt really uneven. Sliced into it, and I'm starting to see my tendencies: heavy towards the bottom, then speeding up to a thin part (pushing too hard, I'm sure) once I'm feeling the uneven part, so then I'm just overcompensation and making it worse.
Was able to fire two bowls though, so that's good. Trying a softer foot this term, using the sponge to round out those bottoms. Loving how gentle it's feeling. But the signature still needs work. Not sold on the seigaihal pattern for the foot yet. This is painted on with underglaze, which I like (I find the process relaxing, and I don't mind that it takes longer... It's part of the practice.). But looking for more interesting or iconic ways to brand the pieces themselves.